Learn the secrets of effective copywriting
18 June VIRTUAL course / in-house virtual deliveries also available.
Do you want to increase the number of sales and enquiries generated by your sales emails, letters, brochures, adverts or website? If so, our Essential Copywriting training course could provide the boost your copywriting needs.
If you’re new to copywriting or lack formal training, it’s all too easy to produce good writing that’s also poor copy. Great copywriting requires artistry, but the best results come when creativity is coupled to a set of principles built up over a hundred years of marketing research.
By learning and applying these rules, you’ll see an instant impact on the results of your copywriting across a wide range of media. The Essential Copywriting training course offers you the chance to take time out to focus on getting this foundation right.
In a supportive, interactive atmosphere, the workshop also offers aspiring copywriters confidence boosting tips on using creativity, style and personality. You’ll get a chance to swap ideas with other copywriters from different sectors and backgrounds, as well as receiving advice and feedback from our expert trainer.
Who is the course for?
This course is for anyone who writes persuasive writing as part of their job. It’s ideal for copywriters or marketers who have had no formal training in copywriting before.
More experienced writers – particularly those who have already had some training – might prefer the Advanced Copywriting course.
- Plan your copywriting, starting with a blank page
- How to identify and think about your audience’s characteristics and needs
- The 8 golden rules – from thinking from the audience’s point of view to goal setting
- How to grab readers’ attention
- How to choose between long and short copy
- How to write punchy headlines across a range of formats
- 10 top tips for making your copy more compelling
- Understand and use the WIIFM acronym to focus on your readers’ psychology
- How and when to deploy ‘the call to action’ appropriately
- Proofreading skills
- How to vary tactics for the web, in sales emails and in brochures
- How to overcome writer’s block
- Warm up copywriting exercise
- The art of the conversation
- What should you know before you start?
- Ten points for a planning process, including writing for your target markets
- Eight top tips for more effective copywriting – from achieving ‘pull through’ to writing from your reader’s point of view
- Other copywriting principles including transparency
- Exercise: editing a piece of copy
- Writing headlines: tips and ideas, and examples of a range of formats
- Ten top tips for creating more compelling body copy – including powerful starting points, avoiding clichés, overcoming objections, varying sentence structure and examining the difference between features and benefits. This segment will include some short exercises
- The importance of the call to action
- The checking/editing process – what are some of the points we should be looking for at this vital stage?
- Key principles of writing for emails and longer content
- Let’s write:
Group discussion: about an exercise
Group breakout: writing a first draft
Group discussion: going through the above
- Any questions?
- Action points
This course also includes access to our Writers’ Study, a password protected webspace where we have posted articles, videos, tools and other useful content to help to continue developing as a copywriter after completing the course.
Our open courses take place in central London at bright, energising and creativity inspiring venues. No dingy hotel meeting rooms here! A tasty and healthy breakfast and lunch as well as unlimited refreshments are available during the day.
This workshop can be delivered live online by our expert trainers as virtual training for groups or as one-to-one coaching for individuals. Normally we split the content into two modules to help keep delegates fresh, and include lots of interaction and practical elements – just as we would in the classroom.
Gillian’s experience as a copywriter who has written award winning work, combined with many years working as a trainer and communicator, make her a highly effective and popular teacher. Running her own copywriting agency for over a decade, she has worked with clients ranging from international household names to new start-ups, and has written everything from direct mail and brochures to TV ads. As a trainer Gillian especially enjoys the process of creating bespoke workshops focusing on specific industry issues and writing challenges. Her warm personality and engaging training style bring the best out of those she teaches, helping them build confidence as well as technique during their time together.
How to book
Open virtual / classroom sessions
Next virtual date:
18 June 2020
Next classroom session:
23 September 2020, St Pancras, London*
1 delegate: £495+VAT (classroom); £395+VAT (virtual)
2 delegates: £895+VAT (classroom); £695+VAT (virtual)
3 delegates: £1245+VAT (classroom); £945+VAT (virtual)
In-house and virtual delivery
We can come to you to delivered this course at your offices, or can deliver the content via a live and interactive virtual course.
In most cases we can provide an all-inclusive quote to cover design, delivery and materials with some basic information:
- Which course you are interested in
- Where the course would take place (or if virtual)
- How many delegates need to be trained
Just drop us a line with these basic facts and we’ll get back to you with a no-obligation quote on the same day.
* In the event that social distancing prevents this session taking place, delegates will be offered a virtual course, a transfer to the next classroom session or a full refund.
If you have any questions about this or any of our other courses, please get in touch and we’d be very happy to help.